Subject: Re: [docbook] Newbie questions on DocBook setup

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:15:24 +0200, Martin Merkel
<Martin_Merkel@t-online.de> wrote:
> My other requirement is that I need to use DocBook on plain Windows XP
> or Windows 7 based systems

We have been using the Java-based XMLmind XML editor ("XXE",
http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/) for several years now on various Windows
machines, and (apart from its lack of real support for right-to-left
scripts) are happy with it.  The learning curve did not seem too steep.

You can get a fairly complete version of XXE for free; the "professional"
(paid) version adds a way to connect to an ftp server (we store our
documents on an svn server), and the converter (using XSL-FO) to PDF.  The
latter can be set up by hand (not in the editor), if you want to see
whether it's adequate for your purposes.  (We instead use a free system
called "dblatex" that converts DocBook to LaTeX and thence to PDF, but our
needs are perhaps unusual.  dblatex works quite well for us.)

   Mike Maxwell