Subject: Re: [docbook] How to use biblioref

Tim,

Actually, the problem here isn't putting <biblioref> inside a superscript. That's actually legal, though maybe not advised.

The problem is that biblioref is a cross reference type that doesn't take any content. So, oxygen is probably complaining about the text ("1") inside <biblioref>. Instead, you need to include a linkend attribute, which should point to the id value of the bibliomixed element it refers to.

<biblioref linkend="linktobibentry"/>

You could then surround the biblioref with a superscript element, though what you would get is a superscript that includes the square brackets normally used for a bibliographic reference. If that's ok, then you're set.

If you want to go further, you probably need to customize the stylesheets, and for that, I'd recommend you look at Bob Stayton's essential reference, DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide (http://sagehill.net). Is book will also show you how to get different kinds of references (like numbers, tags, etc.). Even if you don't want to customize stylesheets, it has a lot of useful information, and it is available on line, though if you do a lot of work with Docbook, the print edition is worth buying.

BTW, the reason I say it's not advised is that normally footnotes use superscript numbers and bibliographic references use brackets around either a number or a tag (e.g., [Smith, 1977]). So, if you use a superscripted number, it might be confused with a footnote.

Best Regards,
Dick Hamilton
-------
XML Press