Subject: Re: [docbook] linking across documents in bibliography

Jason,

Since you're using xinclude to pull everything together, any of the linking elements should work ok, since by the time you actually process the links, everything will be in one big file. The only caveat is that if you parse individual sections, you will get a missing id error for any linkend that points outside the file you're parsing.

While it might seem a bit strange, you can put a linking inline, like xref, inside the abbrev element, which is normally printed exactly where you want the page number reference.

You will need to play around with the cross reference styling to get it (and any references to it) looking like you want, but it should be possible.

The best (maybe only:) place to go for information on the customizations you'll need is Bob Stayton's book, DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide. Here is a link to the relevant section in  the online version of his book:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomXrefs.html

BTW, if you do much customization, I'd suggest buying a print copy of his book.

Dick Hamilton
-------
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators