Subject: Re: [docbook] any semantic diff between a file name and directoryname?

In DocBook this would be <filename> v. <filename class="directory">
(where the class attr can be devicefile, directory, extension,
headerfile, libraryfile, partition, orsymlink). Whether it's worth the
trouble depends on 1) how much trouble it is and 2) what you plan to do
with the information.

Personally, I've never used that distinction when processing, but you
could imagine a situation where, say, a back-of-the-book index is being
generated automatically. Maybe you want to generate a primary index
entry of "file extensions" and populate it with secondary index entries
for all the file name extensions used in the document. I've done things
like that with <database class="table"> in a schema reference where I
did automatic index generation and hyperlinking based on <database>
elements in the doc.

The wysioo editors I've used (Oxygen, XMetaL) allow you to add items to
the element list so that to the user a "filename directory" item appears
which inserts the desired markup, so the writer doesn't have to do the
work of adding an element AND an attribute.

David