Subject: Re: the proper markup for displaying a file snippet?

Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> writes:
> I think that using programlisting for configuration files is approriate.
> It's very hard to draw clear line between configuration files and
> programw written in some highly declarative or DSL languages.

Indeed. I sometimes (ab)use "screen" for things that aren't properly
program listings within the context of what I'm writing. I have, for
example, sometimes configured line numbers for programlistings but not
for screens.

The semantics of literallayout are certainly loose enough to fit the
case, though I still tend to think of that for poetry or other
prose-ish sorts of things that happen to need specific line breaks.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Science is organized knowledge.
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | Wisdom is organized
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | life.--Immanuel Kant

PGP signature