Subject: Re: [docbook] Linking to external documents

Hi Steffan,
I can tell you that the DocBook XSL stylesheet does not alter the url for external
links.  It just passes it through to the .fo file, so it is not a stylesheet problem.

I found that relative links work, but that requires keeping the PDF documents in that
relative position.

I could not get linking to work on windows when the absolute href did not include a
drive letter.  I think that is likely a limitation of Acrobat Reader.  Oddly enough,
the full Windows file URL syntax did not work either
(file:///c:/usr/documents/sample.pdf).  I thought that should work.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message -----
From: <Steffen.Wagner.Hays@zf.com>
To: <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:45 AM
Subject: [docbook] Linking to external documents

Hello,

I hope you can help me.

I am using DocBook 5.0 on Windows XP (with FOP) and try to link to an
external (Word, Excel, Text, ..) document.

Linking to an PDF works, but only with drive letter:
  <link xlink:href="c:/user/documents/sample.pdf">Sample.pdf</link>

Removing the drive letter and the link (in AcrobatReader) does not work.

Question: how do I link to an external document with absolute or relative
path and without a drive letter?
Is this a DocBook or a FOP or an Acrobat Reader problem?

THANKS

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Steffen Wagner, VoyagerSoft
wagner@voyagersoft.de

ZF Friedrichshafen AG
88038 Friedrichshafen, Deutschland/Germany
Telefon/Phone +49 7541 77-7644
steffen.wagner.hays@zf.com
Software Consultant

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Giorgio Behr
Vorstand/Board of Management: Hans-Georg Härter (Vorsitzender/CEO), Willi Berchtold,
Uwe Berner, Michael Paul
Sitz/Headquarters: Friedrichshafen
Handelsregistereintrag Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 630206/Trade register of the municipal
court of Ulm HRB 630206