Subject: Re: DocBook 5 and Extended XLinks

Thomas Schraitle <tom_schr@web.de> writes:
> currently I'm playing with (extended) XLinks in DocBook5. However, at a first
> glance, it looks a bit "academical" to me and I haven't seen them in wide use
> yet.

Yes. XLink hasn't really caught on like one might have hoped

> Fortunately, I've found an interesting example as a comment in the
> xlink.xsl file of the DocBook XSLT2 stylesheets:
[...]
> After transforming this piece it gives me this output (where the text in
> brackets are all links):
>
>   DocBook [DocBook.org, DocBook on Wikipedia]
>
> That's nice. :) However, it seems a bit overcomplicated at a first glance. The
> output could also be achieved by using simple <link/>s. What's the (big?)
> advantage in using the above construct?

See http://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/vol7/html/Vlist01/BalisageVol7-Vlist01.html
for an explanation of the resulting HTML. The short answer is, with a
little JavaScript, you can use progressive enhancement to improve the
UI for that multi-ended link.

> Furthermore, I'm searching for a practical example for the extendedlink
> element inside info. Unfortunately, the TDG doesn't help here, apart from
> linking to the XLink spec.

If none of the locations is "inline" with the link, then the placement
of the extended link is irrelevant. Putting it in the info wrapper
seems reasonable in that case. Note that I don't think the stylesheets
support this (yet).

> Did anybody use (extended) XLinks already and have a nice tutorial, links,
> howtos or any other piece, maybe related to DocBook?

I've only just started to work on getting better XLink support in
place. Hopefully more tutorial material will come along in due course.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | To think is not enough; you must
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | think of something.--Jules Renard
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |