Subject: Re: [docbook] RFE: RDFa in Docbook 5

On 13.12.2011 3:28, Joshua Wulf wrote:

> I'm not sure if I have it right, but it seems that Docbook 5 with its
> xml schema base supports adding RDFa data to the xml with no problems.
> What I'd like is to have that RDFa data flow through to the built html
> output.

Hi Joshua,

could you elaborate more on you requirements. What's usecase for having
RDFa in DocBook?

> I've opened the RFE against the XSL stylesheets rather than against the
> DTD/schema because (I think) that's the only place that changes would
> need to be made. Have I opened it in the right place?

Probably no. If we decide that adding RDFa into DocBook is good idea,
schema has to be modified first. If you look at
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/ you will see that special atttributes
like property, rel, about, resource, datatype are needed to convey RDFa.
If you want to use RDFa in DocBook similar attributes has to be added
into DocBook.

Once this is done, appropriate change in stylesheets has to be done as
well to pipe these metadata to XHTML output.

But it would be really interesting to know what problem are you trying
to solve. Honestly, future for RDFa doesn't look very bright IMHO.
Currently it can be used only in XHTML, not in HTML. It seems that
approach chosen by microdata/schema.org has more chances on the market.
But we will see.

					Jirka