Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: Consistent handling of all purely presentational characters such a quotes, parenthesis, square brackets, slashes

On 11/01/12 23:59, Norman Walsh wrote:
My current thinking leads me to overloading phrase element yet again
and doing something like:

<phrase rend="surround_with_parenthesis">2.5<phrase
role="unit">in</phrase></phrase>  (or http://pastie.org/3165754 )

Do you get imperial units both with and without the parenthetical
metric equivalents? If not, I think I'd be inclined to choose
some markup for the lengths and leave the rest to styling.

Perhaps appropriate to mention the markup applied by an over-eager graduate student asked to encode all numbers in a historical text:

...he was hang'd, drawn and <num value="0.25">quartered</num>.

You could go whole hog, I suppose:

   <length magnitude="2.5" units="inches" system="imperial">2.5in</length>

but that seems like it might be overkill :-)

There is some other kind of inch?

:-)

///Peter