Subject: Re: [docbook] how to include title and caption

Hi Paul,
This combination appears to have been missed by the FO stylesheet.  But some clarification is in order.

DocBook 5 supports two table models: CALS-markup and HTML-markup tables. When you use the HTML-markup model, its caption element replaces the title element, based on how W3C HTML tables are modeled.  So you cannot use both title and caption with an HTML-markup table.  That version of the caption element has a content model like title, allowing only text and inlines.

If you use CALS-markup, you can put a title at the beginning and a caption at the end. That version of the caption element can contain para and other block elements.  Currently the FO stylesheet does not format the caption at the end, which I believe is an oversight.  The HTML stylesheet does.

Thanks for the bug report.  I just checked in an update for the FO stylesheet to process caption in a CALS-markup table. That fix will  appear in the next release.

If you want to add the fix to your customization layer, you would need to copy the template named "calsTable" from fo/table.xsl to your customization layer and add this line at the end of the template:

<xsl:apply-templates select="d:caption"/>

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:47 PM
Subject: [docbook] how to include title and caption

The docbook standard allows you to use either a caption or a title. I would like to use both.

There is this option:

<doc:table class="long-metrics" title="Carousel Picking 2010-2011" tabstyle="long">
    <doc:caption>
   Data for Carousel picking, 2010-2011. The
rate did not change for Carousel picking. Carousel picking handles a small
amount of volume, but at a faster rate.
  </doc:caption>

However, the standard XSL stylesheets will not format both.

I know how to customize the stylesheets, but I am wondering why it is difficult to format both. Is it not usual to have both a title and caption?