Subject: Re: [docbook] Limited Legalnotice?

Hi,

I think the use case for legalnotice is not to list licenses that needs to be included somewhere but to put a license at the beginning of a book for example.
Most books have a Copyright statement and more before the title pages.
Others would have to correct me but I think that is the background.

Could you describe your use case in more detail ?
Is it a software manual that needs to include for example the GPL license as a full text ?

Regarding point 2. legalnotice can have quite some children (63) including <para>. copyright only 2. What substructures do you miss ?

I have worked with a different use case.

I looked to use Creative commons in a document in November 2007 [1], and wanted the "Creative commons" look. That was my first try.

Some years later in June 2011 I tried to add some CC licensed images in
a document, and wanted to attribute the author. I ended up writing
a small proposal.[2] It is still limited to the info tags.

I filed a RFE in February this year just to see if my (small) work could be useful. RFE 3491860 [3]
This RFE is under discussion by the Technical Committee [4]

My problem was two fold as the solution shows. [5]

- First to be able to mark up parts like a document or an image in
  a document with a short "standard" license mark. (cc.rnc)
- Secondly to have such a mark produce well known output
  (cc.xsl) Such a extension stylesheet could also be implemented
  outside docbook standard distribution.
  In my case only a link to the license description is added.
  I am not sure how much of the license text has to be included
  in a document to be "proper", eg your case with an Appendix.

Maybe the use cases can be combined into a good overall solution that
do not add too much new stuff to docbook..

I would be interested to know how other people deal with this problem.

Sincerely,

Fredrik Unger

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200711/msg00061.html

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201106/msg00013.html