Subject: Re: [docbook] Limited Legalnotice?

Hi Frederic,

On Mon, 21 May 2012 12:43:49 +0200
Fredrik Unger <fred@tree.se> wrote:

> On 05/19/2012 10:04 PM, Thomas Schraitle wrote:
>
> > It seems we need to distinguish between the two use cases:
> >
> > 1. Express a license with the appropriate DocBook element. A license
> >     is usually subdivided into several portions.
>
> Ok, yes, I understand, in your case it is a larger block than just an
> info and maybe multiple of them. I would still tend to also try to
> use simpler model for known license.

Well, as mentioned, this is probably out of scope for GFDL. That
license requires to include it *completely*. At least that is what
our license experts say.

As an anecdote, for example, we wrote a quick start which was only 2-4
pages long. However, GFDL requires to include the license regardless of
how long the original document is. When we included it, the complete
document was around 10 pages. Actually, the license was longer than the
text. ;-) However, shrinking the font size for the license text reduced
it to an acceptable length. ;))

> It would be nice to make an on-line repository, so that the author
> just can include it.

That would be an interesting approach. On the other hand, licenses tend
to change not very often, quite the contrary. So I guess it would be
fine to just include it into your collection.

> [...]
> > 2. Add meta information about licenses for images, vides, audio, or
> > text.
>
> Maybe role="license:gpl-2.0" is better than adding a new tag.
> But tools and stylesheets need more work then? To parse role.
> That could also be used on any tag.

That's one solution. What about annotations[1]? You create an annotation
somewhere in your document, add an xml:id attribute, and you can link
to it with the annotatations attribute whenever you feel it is
appropriate. Whatever you insert in the info's annotation is up to
you. :)

The DocBook stylesheets supports annotations to some degree. Inline
elements should work, but I doubt it works for block elements like
figures, mediaobjects etc. Probably you need to customize the it.

> <para role="license:CC-BY-SA">
> Wikipedia is a free, collaboratively edited and multilingual Internet
> encyclopedia supported by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation.
> </para>
>
> Well, just a short quote might not need a license..

That's true. In my case, the license is applied to the complete book.

> My thought was just that authors are not always XML (or license)
> experts, that is why I rather keep that syntax very easy to use.

I agree, for images or other small resources it would be probably
enough to state "this is licensed as ..." whatever structure

> Just because you want to add a small image in the document you do
> not want to learn rdf. (or mark up license text..)

Yes, very true. I didn't write this code myself, I just integrated this
snippet from the CC homepage. I wouldn't bother with RDF too, actually
it was just a test which survived its lifetime. ;)

----
[1] http://www.docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/annotation.html

--
Gruß/Regards,