Subject: Fwd: DocBook V5.1b7 RELAX NG schemas and Schematron schemas

[Forwarding bug report about the latest schema to the proper list.]

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 10:53:19 +0200
From: Hussein Shafie <hussein@xmlmind.com>
To: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>

Hello Jirka,

Sorry to annoy you with what follows but I don't know how to signal the
minor glitches I've found in DocBook V5.1b7 assembly.rng, assembly.sch,
docbook.rng, docbook.sch (I didn't look at the other files).

About the Schematron schemas:
-----------------------------

You (the DocBook technical committee) have switched to ISO Schematron
for DocBook v5.1, but your schematron still contains:

---
<s:pattern name="Glossary 'firstterm' type constraint">
---

According to the ISO Schematron RELAX NG
(http://www.schematron.com/iso/iso-schematron.rnc.txt), s:pattern has no
name attribute.

I would suggest:

---
<s:pattern>
  <s:title>Footnote reference type constraint</s:title>
---

About the RELAX NG schemas:
---------------------------

Jing validates the RELAX NG schemas just fine, however this validator
does not check the correctness of a schema with respect to the
"Attribute default values" feature.

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/compatibility-20011203.html#default-value

---
A correct RELAX NG schema is compatible with this feature if after
schema simplification, for each attribute element that has an
a:defaultValue attribute, all of the following hold:

* if the containing definition competes with another definition, then
that other definition also contains an attribute element with the same
name and with an a:defaultValue attribute with the same value. A definition
---

Therefore XXE says:

element "db:group": there are 3 elements named "db:group"; all of them
must have an attribute named "rep" with default value "norepeat".

I have removed a:defaultValue="norepeat" from my copies of the RELAX NG
schemas to keep XXE quiet. This is unfortunate as attribute rep with
default value "norepeat" makes sense for group(db.group) (A group of
elements in a cmdsynopsis).

My apologies if I have reported you false errors (e.g. because I'm
referring to outdated standards).

If you prefer me to report this to another person or to a mailing list,
please be kind to point me to the right direction.

Cheers.