Subject: Re: [docbook] Table accessibility attributes

In the HTML output, the headers attribute is on table body entries and
it can refer to more than one header cell. I am required to produce
accessible tables in HTML with the headers attribute in each body
entry. So I added the customization that I described here:

  http://wiki.docbook.org/HtmlTableAccessibility

So if one table body entry spans columns, the headers attribute refers
to the id values of the table heading entries for each column. In most
cases headers contains only one id, but here's a spanning entry from
one of my test tables:

I'm not very familiar with CALS (beyond using it in my source
DocBook). But I understand that screen reading and other accessibility
tools use the headers attribute in output HTML to associate body
entries with header entries. My dodgy customization wouldn't be needed
if the associations were explicit in the source DocBook.

Peter