Subject: Re: [docbook] XML/XSL Revision Control/ Source Code Versioning: Ideas, Methods, Tools for Specific scenario as a Content Writer?

Hi,

we have been storing all our documentation-related things in Git for years now, and it works well for us.

We store the source XML-s and the stylesheets in separate repositories, so if we change something in the stylesheets, it will be automatically applied to the next build of the documents. Also, the documentation of every product has its own repository, with separate branches for the major product versions. That way if we make a change in the source XML that affects multiple product versions (for example, correct a typo), we can cherry-pick this change relatively easily to every affected version, and the change will be available in the next build of the docs.

IMHO, pick whatever version controlling software seems fitting for you, but use it all the time. If your VCS server runs on a separate machine (or with a distributed system, you push your changes to a separate machine as well), you have instant backup of your work, which can be sometimes a lifesaver.

As for comparing XML files: I don't use tree-based diffing tools (still have to find one that gives usable output). For smaller changes, or for reviewing changes to a file, I use the commit history (changelog) of git. I like to keep commits clean and relatively small - one change in a commit if possible - so the history is clean and readable. (This also makes cherry-picking much easier.) For reviewing larger changes, I usually use a simple text-comparing tool. I use Meld on Linux, but there are probably many others that get the job done.

HTH

Regards,

Robert