Subject: Re: [docbook] XInclude 1.1

Hi,
This use case could be satisfied with the xpath scheme in XPointer, but I'm not finding any processors that support it, or even any information about that scheme.

The lack of such support led to the DocBook TC developing the DocBook assembly system in the forthcoming DocBook 5.1. That system allows you to rewrite a document as an assembly of modular references. An assembly is then processed into a normal DocBook document for rendering. The assembly specification supports this use case through the contentonly="1" attribute on the module element.

 http://docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/module.html

The assembly process is handled by an XSLT process, not as part of the XML parsing like XInclude. As such, it works with any processor, and the assembly behavior can be customized.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

From: "Fekete Robert" <frobert@balabit.hu>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:29 AM
To: "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net>
Cc: "Norman Walsh" <ndw@nwalsh.com>; <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>

On 01/23/2013 07:12 PM, Bob Stayton wrote:

Hi Norm,
I read through the new spec and it looks good. I have just a couple of comments.

1. The first example in C.6 uses frigid="line=2,6". Unless you are introducing a
refrigerator identification system, I think that should be fragid. 8^)

It also says "There are four of them", but I think lines="2,6" is inclusive, so that would be five lines, no? The output example seems to include the fifth
blank line that puts </pre> on its own line.

2. In C.7, the example of attribute copying, I would like to see a second
example that replaces xml:id. I presume that works even when the xpointer is
using the xml:id in the source file to fetch the content.

Regarding xml:id fixup, this feature only applies to the top-level included element. If there are duplicate xml:ids in its descendants, then further fixup
will be required after inclusion, right?

3. This document does not address any improvements to xpointer. I still use xsltproc for its implementation of the xpointer() scheme of xpointer, but that scheme never became a standard. What is the status of using some kind of xpath
syntax in xpointer?

Hi,

Having recently moved to docbook 5, I also deeply miss the xpointer() scheme. The functionality that I sorely miss is the possibility to reference a tag using its ID, and xinclude everything that's within the referenced tag, except the tag itself: <xi:include href="blah.xml" xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; xpointer="xpointer(//note[@id='mynote']/*)"/>

Supporting this use-case would greatly help single-sourcing in product documentation.

Kind Regards,

Robert Fekete

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises