Subject: Re: [docbook] Toolchain for beginner?

On 04/09/2013 01:14 PM, Susanne Wunsch wrote:
Hi Bob,

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:01:21PM -0700, Bob Plantz wrote:

So I wonder if anybody can point a beginner like me to a good source
for helping me to get going on actually writing a book. As when I
learned LaTeX, I'm sure there will be many learning experiences as I
write. But I would like to avoid taking too many dead end paths.
You may author the DocBook-XML in any XML editor and use "dblatex" as
processor.

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/dblatex

This tool enables customization with XSLT and LaTeX.

Kind regards...
Susanne

Thank you, Susanne. My goal, though, is to avoid LaTeX with this book. I want to go as directly as possible to html, epub, and pdf.

LaTeX is great for typesetting. My current book looks very nice. The problem is that many typesetting features that LaTeX provides simply do not translate into html/epub. I realize that my new book will not have many of these typographical features, but my goal is to make it more widely available.

--Bob