Subject: Re: [docbook] Status attribute

On 04/14/2013 06:26 PM, Thomas Schraitle wrote:
> Hi Togan,
>
> Am Sonntag, 14. April 2013, 16:39:24 schrieb Togan Muftuoglu:
>> [...]
>> The document I am trying to fix is a badly formatted usermanual, which
>> in the beginning was not even validating. It was full with sectX
>> elements which included informaltables to create definitions for various
>> terminology used by the software. These sectX had status either set as
>> draft or final.
>
> Ok, I see. However, I still don't know what you want to do with this
> information. :)

when producing the fo output only use those that are for final or draft
with the use of profiling xsl paramater

>> I have now converted such sectX to variablelists and get rid of the
>> informaltable definitions. However I can't make any attributions to
>> these variablelists if they are meant to be draft or final as with the
>> profiling of status I am able to produce a final output.
>
> By the way, just as an additional information: If you need/want to transform
> your original document again, you can do it with XSLT. I've written a topic
> about transforming a sectX element into a section. This is not entirely your
> use case, but with some (small?) modification you can avoid manual editing:
>
>   http://doccookbook.sf.net/html/en/dbc.structure.sectX-to-section.html

I know as I have used it ;) That is a great source for ideas and
implementations. Keep the great job

> Marking up an element with @status, @revision, @condition (or whatever you
> use) is one side of the coin. The other side is what you want to do with this
> information.
>
> Usually I value consistency, but in this case I wouldn't recommend to replace
> all status attributes. The @status attribute influences how a document is
> shown. For example, setting status to "draft" and the parameter $draft.mode to
> "yes" will use a background image (which is taken from
> $draft.watermark.image).

Yes I know but that is not what I want, the manual includes final for
status for sections that are proofread and draft for those that are not
reviewed.

So I am not using draft.mode parameter but profile.status with final in
the customized stylesheet

> This is already implemented in the DocBook stylesheets. You get this behaviour
> for free, if you marked up your division elements with status. This may or may
> not what you want. The question is, how you want to show other elements
> containing your former status attribute (which is now a condition or
> revision).

Once I decide the attribute all former status is gone for good, so there
is one thing to consider

Thanks

Togan