Subject: Re: [docbook] DB4 to DB5 conversion stylesheet

Hi Alexey,
Thanks for pointing out these problems.  We discussed them in the DocBook Technical Committee meeting today, and concluded that you are correct.  The conversion stylesheet will get fixed.  If you find any other issues, please let us know.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:16 PM
Subject: [docbook] DB4 to DB5 conversion stylesheet

Hi,

I am exploring possibility of conversion of our documents from DB4 to DB5 using the db4-upgrade.xsl stylesheet provided at docbook.org. I have a few questions regarding the stuff that the stylesheet drops from DB4 elements.

1. Is there a particular reason why that stylesheet drops @class attribute from <productname/>?

<xsl:template match="productname[@class]" priority="200">

<xsl:call-template name="emit-message">

<xsl:with-param name="message">

<xsl:text>Dropping class attribute from productname</xsl:text>

</xsl:with-param>

</xsl:call-template>

<xsl:copy>

<xsl:call-template name="copy.attributes">

<xsl:with-param name="suppress" select="'class'"/>

</xsl:call-template>

<xsl:apply-templates/>

</xsl:copy>

</xsl:template>

As far as I can see from TDG5.1, it is perfectly legal in DocBook 5.0: http://www.docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/productname.html

At first I thought this removal is because of some element models changing before the final release of DocBook 5.0 specification (the stylesheet claims conformance to 5.0CR5), but I don't see any productname/remark mentions in the specification change history.

2. Similar question: why all mark-up is removed from inside of the <remark/> element?

<xsl:template match="remark" priority="200">

<!-- get rid of any embedded markup -->

<remark>

<xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>

<xsl:value-of select="."/>

</remark>

</xsl:template>

Again, TDG5.1 says most mark-up is allowed in <remark/>: http://www.docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/remark.html

We don't use anything but titles on lower level elements (such as sections), so <info> just adds some clutter to the documents.

Regards,

Alexey.