Subject: Re: [docbook] braille and audio

Hi,
As far as I know, there is no tool to directly convert DocBook XML to Braille. However, the DocBook XSL stylesheets can convert DocBook to HTML or PDF, and those can be converted to Braille, according to this website:

 http://www.brailletranslator.org/

Similarly with audio, as this tool seems to be able to convert HTML to MP3:

 http://www.naturalreaders.com/

I have not used either of these tools, and other people might have other recommendations.

FYI, here is a report on an attempt to use Apache FOP to generate Braille:

 http://code.google.com/p/daisy-pipeline/wiki/BrailleFopRenderingReport

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

From: "evaristegalois" <evaristegalois@hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:41 AM
To: <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [docbook] braille and audio

I have now read several times that the cool thing about docbook is that it
provides output in braille and audio as well, for example here:

The advantage is that one SGML source file can generate any type of output:
Postscript, PDF, RTF, HTML, QNX Helpviewer, even audio files or braille.
(http://developers.cogentrts.com/cogent/prepdoc/pd-single-sourcingwithdocbook.html)

I work with blind people in an educational setting and would love to use
docbook to provide content to students. But despite extensive searching on
this forum, the docbook wiki, and duckduckgo (google), I cannot find
anything about braille or audio output. I have successfully used docbook to create html and pdf output. Please tell me how I can convert an sgml or xml file to brf (braille) or a sound file (any format) using an input file that
I've already successfully converted to pdf and html.