Subject: Re: [docbook] Which docbook element to use for a mathematical formula explanation?

This is a job for customizing your PDF output. Not choosing a different element.

I think I accepted the default formatting for these. But if you want
to customize the appearance, you might start by trying the
customization for graphics captions described here:

  http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Captions.html

I don't know whether that would apply to captions in all contexts. But
I think it's likely.

Good luck!

Peter