Subject: Re: [docbook] xi:include problem

On 2013-12-09 22:55, davep wrote:

Jing is a validating parser, it knows nothing of xinclude.
Use a tool to expand the xincludes prior to processing (validation and
transformation).

HTH

Thanks for the tip. I did some searching and found xmlstarlet but it seems not to want to deal with RELAX NG:
"""
alex@x301:~/Docbook/Opus$ xmlstarlet tr --xinclude /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/rng/5.0/docbook.rng main.xml compilation error: file /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/rng/5.0/docbook.rng line 2 element grammar
xsltParseStylesheetProcess : document is not a stylesheet
"""
A little more poking around and I came up with
$ xmlstarlet tr --xinclude /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/docbook5/db4-upgrade.xsl dreamplug.xml > dream.xml
which when followed by
$ jing /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/rng/5.0/docbook.rng dream.xml
all seems to work fine.

I don't quite understand why a program that expands xincludes would want/need a style sheet. I would have thought that one wouldn't be necessary until the next step after validation:
$ xmlto --skip-validation html dream.xml
although xmlt never seems to complain at not having one. I've assumed it was using a default.

Much obliged.
cheers,
alex