Subject: Re: [docbook] Line numbering ordinary text, not just 'verbatim environments'

I know that the Antenna House XSL Formatter (not the Lite version) can number lines. It has several extension properties like axf:line-number that control application and formatting of the numbers.

I'm not sure it will work as you want for tables, as it numbers lines in all cells if you turn it on for the whole table. Since that isn't what you want you would have to turn it on only for cells in the first column and fiddle with the formatting.

Another approach is to work with the intermediate format that FOP, XEP, and Antenna House can all produce. This is an XML representation of the typeset area tree, where text lines are marked up as such. It might be possible to intervene to add line numbers, but it might be tricky to avoid messing up the already typeset material.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net