Subject: Re: [docbook] Translate words in html files.

[moving this over to docbook-apps mailing list where stylesheet questions are usually discussed]

Hi Markos,
Generally stylesheet customizations are done using a customization layer. That is an XSL file that imports the original stylesheet and adds customizations to override the original stylesheet. That avoids having to maintain altered files in the DocBook XSL distribution.

Creating a customization layer is described here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomMethods.html#CustomizationLayer

In your case, you want to customize the generated text templates (gentext), and that process is described here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomGentext.html

The original gentext templates for Esperanto are in the DocBook XSL distribution in the file common/eo.xml. You'll need those name attributes for your customization layer.

Your customization layer would look something like this (assuming you are using the namespaced stylesheets):

                xmlns:d="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
                version="1.0"
                exclude-result-prefixes="d">

<xsl:import href="/the/path/to/docbook-xsl-ns-1.78.1/html/docbook.xsl"/>

<xsl:param name="local.l10n.xml" select="document('')"/>
<l:i18n xmlns:l=http://docbook.sourceforge.net/xmlns/l10n/1.0";>
  <l:l10n language="eo">
    <l:gentext key="TableofContents" text="Indekso"/>
    <l:gentext key="revhistory" text="Revizioj"/>
  </l:l10n>
</l:i18n>

</xsl:stylesheet>

You could also edit the text in the common/eo.xml file in your installation. But then you would need to reapply such edits for each new distribution.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net