Subject: Re: [docbook] [docbook-apps] Tools to make DocBook easier

On Sep 14, 2015, at 5:35 PM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 2015, Warren Young wrote:
>
>> On Sep 14, 2015, at 4:04 PM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What tools are there to make working with DocBook easier?  I wrote a lint-like proofreading tool
>>
>> There’s already xmllint
>
> Sure.  But xmllint only validates the XML, and that misses many, many common mistakes that mystify authors.

I thought you asked what other tools were available?

> I'm the first to admit that igor does not really understand XML or DocBook at all, it's just some ugly Perl tricks to detect common problems. Improvements or rewrites are welcome.)

http://blog.codinghorror.com/parsing-html-the-cthulhu-way/

May I suggest switching to XML::Parser, which does not invoke any of the Old Ones?

>> Any chance of at least preformatting the man page as index.html
>
> Just 'man igor.1' should be enough

$ man igor.1
No manual entry for igor.1

I get that on current versions of FreeBSD and OS X, as well as on a couple of different generations of CentOS.

These implementations seem to require ./igor.1 to convince it that you are not naming an installed manpage.

Nice to know this shortcut anyway, though, so thanks.

> I've added igor.1.html now.

Thanks!