Subject: Re: [docbook] How to Contribute to the DocBook Project on GitHub?

Hi Stefan,

thanks for sharing your ideas. :)

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 08:55:17 -0400
Stefan Seefeld <stefan@seefeld.name> wrote:

> [...]
> >  1. How to contribute?
> >  2. Which branching model does DocBook follows?
>
> I imagine we could start by submitting pull requests.

That was also my impression, but I wasn't sure if that has been changed
by the move from SF to GH. Hence this mail. :)

> The maintainer
> can then decide to give write permission to trusted developers to
> share the work whenever seems appropriate.

Do former contributions from SF also count? ;-)

> As far as branches are concerned, I think the simpler the better. I
> would definitely not start with something requiring any extensions.

Depends on how you define "simple". ;-)

Just to make the message clear: You can still work with normal Git.
GitFlow makes the branch maintenance just easier.

> Just use a "master" / "develop" split (or even "master" / "stable" if
> development happens on master).

Yes, regardless of which model is used, it should be definied somewhere.

> The more important (IMHO) questions are about the infrastructure
> needed to support this:
>
> * A working build system
> * CI support (travis-ci ?)

Right, I had that also in my mind but tried to make my mail not to be
overloaded with lots of terms. ;)

IMHO Travis and other CIs makes sense when you have a dedicated test
suite. This is not the case for the XSLT1 stylesheets, but for XSLT2.

> With that working the state of a branch can easily be checked, and
> even pull requests could be automatically built and tested. Once this
> is in place, branching and merging, and by extension contributing
> patches becomes quite simple indeed.

Exactly. :)

--
Gruß/Regards,