Subject: author

I have a question about the <author> element. It can occur as a daughter of a bunch of elements, but there are two parents where its usage seems a bit unclear to me: <info> and <authorgroup>. The intent is clear: <author> should appear under <authorgroup> "when a document has multiple authors or collabarators" (http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/authorgroup.html). So in the context of a book or chapter or author, multiple authors should be under /book/info/authorgroup/. However, afaik there's nothing in the schema preventing one from having both /book/info/authorgroup/author and /book/info/author *in the same document*. (It's not clear to me whether one could have multiple <author> daughters of /book/info/, or just one. I think there can be multiples.)

What is the intent if there's an <author> under both paths? Ideally, I guess they'd be combined in some smart way; or else there should be a warning. The combination of course has to be handled by the particular app you're using to convert the XML into some other form. But a warning--if appropriate--would come from the schemas. (Probably not possible with rng; maybe there could be a schematron rule?)

The same thing happens with <editor> and <othercredit>, both of which can appear in the same places as <author>; and the same possibility of putting these elements under <someelement>/<authorgroup> or directly under <someelement> happens with <biblioentry> and probably several other places.

BTW, the question came up because we had <author> in both places, and I was trying to debug why someone's name wasn't showing up in the PDF.

   Mike Maxwell
   University of Maryland