Subject: Re: [docbook] Add "danger" to the list of possible admonitions?

Hi,

thanks Dave for your answer.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 09:24:51 +0100
Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:

> What is danger to you might be nothing to me?
> I think caution is right or a good compromise.

Well, maybe my understanding of the English language could be
incomplete, but for me as a non English speaker, "caution" is not an
equivalent for "danger". :) Danger sound more, well, dangerous, than
caution. ;)

Apart from any language issues on my side, let's look at the ANSI Z535
standard:

  http://www.safetysign.com/help/h40/safety-header

According to this ANSI standard, there are these signal words: DANGER”,
“WARNING”, “CAUTION” and “NOTICE”. These labels could be matched to the
follwoing DocBook elements:

  WARNING -> <warning>
  NOTICE  -> <note>
  CAUTION -> <caution>
  DANGER  -> ???

As you can see, "DANGER" cannot be mapped correctly. You can't use
<caution> as you suggested here as it is already in use. Writers who
want (or must) follow the ANSI Z535 standard cannot do it consistently
with DocBook.

By the way, DITA contains a <hazardstatement> where you can select
"danger" as a type.

> If presentation is an issue use CSS?

Well, probably not a presentation issue. Surely, "caution" can be turned
into a "danger" without too much trouble. But my concerns are listed
above.

--
Gruß/Regards,
    Thomas Schraitle