Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook Transclusion: Allow "prefix" in trans:idfixup?

Hi Dave,

On Thu, 19 May 2016 08:12:36 +0100
Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm curious why Thomas?

Because writers are forced to use an ID naming that maybe contradicts
their style guides? :)

> It says suffix, adds a suffix?
> Do you want to change the name too?

Sorry, if I wasn't clear enough. No, not changing any name. Adding an
additional value. :)

According to http://docbook.org/docs/transclusion/#idfixup-attribute
these are the possible attribute values and their explanation:

  trans:idfixup attribute

     value "none"
        The suffix property is set to an empty string.

     value "suffix"
        The suffix property is set to the concatenation of the
        inherited suffix value and the value specified in the
        trans:suffix attribute.

     value "auto"
        The suffix property is set to a unique value for each element.

I would propose to add a fourth value:

     value "prefix"
        The prefix property is set to the concatenation of the
        value specified in the trans:suffix attribute and the
        inherited suffix value.

Does that make more sense?

I don't think it will change much. It's just a small addition to the
existing specification. I remember vaguely that Norm proposed something
along the line, but I can't find it anymore.

The benefit is you gain a bit more flexibility. Well, of course, it is
recommended to stick to one value, either suffix or prefix. Otherwise
it would be confusing if you mix it. With great power... well, you know
that but that's a different story. :)

--
Gruß/Regards,
    Thomas Schraitle