Subject: Re: [docbook] How to encode subfigures?

Hi Thibaut,
Regarding the schema side of this issue, the DocBook Technical Committee has never considered subfigures before as far as I know, so the schema does not directly support them. In fact, although the RelaxNG schema seems to allow a figure to contain a figure, the Schematron rules that are part of the DocBook 5 standard specifically do not permit figure as a descendant:

 s:assert [
  test = "not(.//db:figure)"
   "figure must not occur among the children or descendants of figure"

So that rules out container solutions such as putting an informaltable inside figure to lay out more than one figure element, assuming you want valid DocBook.

If I had to solve this problem for a client using standard DocBook, I might recommend nesting informalfigures inside figure like this:

    linkend="b"/></para>
  <figure xml:id="fig">
    <title>Main figure</title>
    <informalfigure role="subfigure" xml:id="a">
      <mediaobject>
      </mediaobject>
    </informalfigure>
    <informalfigure role="subfigure" xml:id="b">
       <mediaobject>
       </mediaobject>
    </informalfigure>
  </figure>

I used role="subfigure" on the informalfigures enhance their semantic meaning, and to give the stylesheet something to work with. I then added <caption> to the <mediaobject> elements to support the subfigure titles. I also moved the xml:id from mediaobject to informalfigure, since that is what you really want to reference. Not a perfect solution, but it is semantically close to what you want and does validate.

This would require stylesheet customizations to handle the formatting, add the numbering of subfigures, and support xrefs. I could supply additional hints for those if you decide to pursue this suggestion.

If you would like DocBook to directly support subfigures, you could file an Issue on the DocBook GitHub. The DocBook TC considers all such requests.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net