Subject: Re: [docbook] How to encode subfigures?

Thank you for all these answers, I did not expect so many of them!

Semantically, the solution of using informalfigure and caption does not seem appropriate: I would use a title for the figures outside the special case of subfigures; indeed, the subfigures have a title—which an informalfigure does not allow.

My main goal, for now, is more long-term storage than an immediate need, so I am taking the GitHub issue road, but I'm taking your suggestions for my immediate needs (without XSLT customisation for now, as I can live without xrefs towards subfigures).

@Dave Pawson: it's rather two pictures, but very closely related, with one common caption, and some details added for each of the two pictures (instead of two figures whose title is a mix between the common caption and the subfigure addition).

Thibaut Cuvelier

On 9 July 2017 at 11:40, Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> wrote:
On 08/07/17 16:14, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:> I am trying to convert LaTeX
subfigures into DocBook,
> [...]
>     <figure xml:id="somename">
>         <title>Main figure</title>
>         <mediaobject xml:id="somename-a">
>         </mediaobject>
>         <mediaobject xml:id="somename-b">
>         </mediaobject>
>     </figure>
> </article>

There are several ways to skin this cat. One is exactly what you have.
Depending on the [graphical?] content of the figures, you could have
Two other possibilities are:

        <figure xml:id="somename">
          <title>figure title</title>
          <mediaobject xml:id="somename-a">
            <imageobject>
              <imagedata format="png" fileref="pic-a">
                <info>
                  <title>caption for subfig a</title>
                </info>
              </imagedata>
            </imageobject>
          </mediaobject>
          <mediaobject xml:id="somename-b">
            <imageobject>
              <imagedata format="png" fileref="pic-b"/>
            <textobject>
              <para>Caption for subfig b</para>
            </textobject>
          </mediaobject>
        </figure>

> when putting xml:id at the mediaobject level, I cannot use xref in
> order to point to them:
>
> Don't know what gentext to create for xref to: "mediaobject"

We always write our own XSLT, so we have a handler to resolve the IDREFs
which point at these, and it's a house business rule to use the
convention of parent id with a hyphen and letter for naming multiple
mediaobject IDs.

///Peter