Subject: Re: Tinkering with the DNS for docbook.org

tl;dr Lech Rzedzicki pointed out that I could accomplish the task with
netlify and a single DNS update. The task is finished and I won’t need
to tinker with nameservers this weekend. Thank you, Lech!

Warren Young <warren@etr-usa.com> writes:
> Go with someone like Cloudflare if you need the scale or 24/7
> availability of a big CDN, but if traffic is low enough to do without,
> you can do what you want with a reverse HTTP proxy server and Let’s
> Encrypt.

For some values of “you”. I have no idea how to setup a “reverse HTTP
proxy server”.

> How much traffic are we talking about here?
>
> (Here’s where you tell me how many people are pulling their
> stylesheets over the web on every document render because they either
> haven’t bothered to set up a local stylesheet catalog or have it
> misconfigured so it gets skipped.)

It’s more significant than that. The default JavaScript and CSS files
for rendering the web pages are hosted at cdn.docbook.org. I expect
there’s lots of traffic. Maybe not “a lot” of bandwidth in the grand
scheme of things at web scale, but still more than I’d carelessly put
in an S3 bucket and pay for out of my own pocket.

And yes, experience at the W3C suggests that there will be people who
point to the CDN and download the entire set of stylesheets from the
web on every render. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Art has to move you and design does
http://nwalsh.com/            | not, unless it's a good design for a