Subject: Re: [docbook] DTD from extended RNC

At 2018-05-21T21:24:13+01:00, Peter Flynn wrote:

> If you don't mind creating a rather more difficult-to-maintain DTD, you
> can always take an existing DTD and edit it by hand. Cumbersome but
> possible.

I'll probably spend a substantial part of the next several years writing
in this schema, and I may have to modify it sometimes.  Given that, and
the fact that it is difficult for me to extend a DTD, I guess I will
abandon the idea of creating a customised DocBook DTD, and will instead
write a customised RNC, along the lines that I have posted.

>> 2. Is it possible to get a DTD for 5.1?
>
> It does claim that the TC provides this.

I have opened an issue at the docbook/docbook GitHub repository about
the missing DTD, https://github.com/docbook/docbook/issues/103

>> 3. Is it important to use an editor that understands RELAX NG?

> But IMNSHO it is just as important that you pick an editor whose
> interface you feel comfortable with. I you're going to be using an
> editor for a long time (maybe the rest of your life), you need to pick
> something usable.

That is Emacs for me.  The choice is then between nXML mode and PSGML
mode.  Since PSGML needs a DTD, since I have given up on writing a
customised DTD in favour of an RNC, and since `trang' does not convert
that RNC to a DTD, I have to give up on PSGML mode.  So, I will
necessarily be using nXML mode.  I am planning to separate out the nXML
code from the Emacs distribution into a local package, and modify it
incrementally in an attempt to add a few features.

Thank you.

Raghu.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@hri.res.in>, http://www.retrotexts.net/