Subject: RE: Samples for DSML 2.0

Title: Samples for DSML 2.0
Tony,

Would you consider sending us examples of the extensions you made?

James
--
James Tauber, Director XML Technology, Bowstreet
jtauber@bowstreet.com  http://www.bowstreet.com/
<pipe>Ceci n'est pas une pipe</pipe>
-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Gullotta [mailto:TGullotta@access360.com]
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 11:49 AM
To: 'Andy Harjanto'; Tony Gullotta; James Tauber; dsml@lists.oasis-open.org

OK. I'm not religious about the API approach, but when you brought up SOAP, it seemed to be a better fit. I like an approach that is not dependent on SOAP but could be used with HTTP(S) also. I am a little concerned though that your example approach may not be as flexible as the LDAP protocol is which would then leave an opening for someone to try and come up with yet another approach to DSML because they want more. I'm not an LDAP expert, but do you feel you can cover all the operations sufficiently (complicated search filters, comparisons, modification parameters, authentication options, error codes, etc.)?

I know you are probably trying to avoid just implementing rfc 2251 in XML. We've actually done that by extending the DSML 1.0 dtd. Its not the prettiest thing, but it seems to work. We've implemented it over HTTPS.

Tony