Subject: [dsml] Fwd: DSML is still important

All,

I would like to suggest a call or meeting in the next couple of weeks to discuss DSML next steps. There was a lot of discussion last week at the Open Group DIF meeting about the possible future of Directories and the emerging Web Services technologies. I have attached Dave's latest newsletter and it is a good call to action. I am not sure that taking on unfinished LDAP work is the right activity, but there is certainly work to be done.

What do folks think?

Talk to you soon,
Winston
--- Begin Message ---
NETWORK WORLD NEWSLETTER DAVE KEARNS on
DIRECTORIES
07/31/02
Today's focus: DSML is still important

Dear Winston Bumpus,

In this issue:

* DSML's future as the preferred method of interoperability
  among directories
* Links related to Directory Services
* Featured reader resource

Critical Path

Are you dealing with multiple personalities?
Jon Smith
j.smith@company.exchange.com
jon.smith@company.notes.com
Jonathan Smith

.....Are these four different people?

Find out how to easily manage user identities and cut costs.

Get your FREE E-KIT on Identity Management now.
http://nww1.com/go/4486536a.html
A NETWORK WORLD SPECIAL REPORT: INFORMATION SECURITY MIDYEAR
2002 UPDATE

Virus attacks, intrusions and other virulent computer crimes
continue to escalate. If it hasn't already, insuring the safety
of your network is rapidly becoming a full time job. In this
latest SPECIAL REPORT well-known security authority Mich Kabay
covers developments across the entire field of IT security.
Download your free copy today at http://nww1.com/go/ad304.html
(Registration required.)

Today's focus: DSML is still important

By Dave Kearns

I didn't mean to imply in last week's newsletter that the
Directory Services Markup Language was no longer relevant. It
was Burton Group analyst Mike Neuschwander who said that. He's
wrong, and I'm here to tell you why.

Mike seemed to imply that the work of the Security Assertions
Markup Language (SAML) committee had overtaken the work of the
DSML folk. In one way, that's true. I, along with a number of
others, had urged that the DSML people should concentrate on
new opportunities for the directory rather than spin out an XML
replacement for Lightweight Directory Access Protocol. We
suggested that an XML gateway to Lightweight Directory Access
Protocol (LDAP) would be sufficient. We just didn't have the
votes.

The DSML committee went on to do yeoman work in restructuring
the best parts of LDAP into an XML jacket - DSML Version 2 is
an excellent bit of work. But business people wishing to get on
with the authentication required to implement the various
activities lumped together as "Web services" needed a cross-
platform specification that at least started the journey on the
path towards the Holy Grail of Webwide single sign-on. To that
end, a group of like-minded people formed the SAML committee
and delivered a well-designed initial specification (see the
previous issue of this newsletter for more information).

So DSML won't be the glamorous front-end for Web services. It
nevertheless has a great looking future as the preferred method
of interoperability among directories - and other identity
storage mechanisms.

We've pretty much gotten all of LDAP Version 3 (at least, all
the parts we want to keep) into DSML Version 2. The next step
should be to take up what appears to be the abandoned work of
the various Internet Engineering Task Force LDAP working groups
and incorporate their accomplishments into an upcoming DSML
spec.

In particular, the LDUP (LDAP Duplication/Replication/Update
Protocols) committee's work needs to be revitalized and brought
into the DSML arena.

I had the chance to speak with LDUP co-chair Chris Apple during
the recent Catalyst conference and he's adamant that the work
being done by the LDUP group needs to continue. I couldn't
agree more. We need standardized ways to handle duplication and
replication of data if we are ever to achieve truly federated
systems. No one believes that a single directory service will
emerge as a de facto standard any time in the foreseeable
future, so those systems we are using need to be completely
interoperable.

But XML is the wave of the future, and the DSML group needs to
work to see that all things directory related are covered by
either a single specification or, at least, related
specifications. There will not be an LDAP Version 4. There will
be a DSML Version 3. It's time to move all development into the
DSML group.

To contact Dave Kearns:

Dave Kearns is a writer and consultant in Silicon Valley. His
most recent book is "Peter Norton's Complete Guide to
Networks," published by SAMS. Dave's company, Virtual Quill,
provides Content services to network vendors: books, manuals,
white papers, lectures and seminars, marketing, technical
marketing and support documents. Virtual Quill provides
"words to sell by..." Find out more at http://www.vquill.com/
or by e-mail at mailto:info@vquill.com
Monstrous capacity. Tiny footprint.

The new Quantum SuperLoader(tm) quickly stores up to 3.5 TB in
only 2U. It also features up to 16 DLTtape(tm) cartridges,
sophisticated onboard remote management tools and convenient
ways to import and export cartridges. Plus, the SuperLoader is
modular, which means a low starting price with room for
pain-free expansion and upgrades. For more information, visit
http://www.quantum.com/superloader .

ENTER TO WIN A FREE SUPERLOADER FROM QUANTUM AT
http://nww1.com/go/0617Quantum.html
RELATED EDITORIAL LINKS

Breaking directory news from Network World, updated daily:
http://www.nwfusion.com/topics/directories.html

Archive of the Directory Services newsletter:
http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/dir/index.html
FEATURED READER RESOURCE

NW FUSION'S WHITEPAPERS CENTRAL

A free resource to Network World Fusion visitors is the
Whitepaper Central area on NW Fusion. Here you can find vendor
and Network World produced whitepapers on a variety of network
topics. You can search our whitepapers database by company or
by title. All are available free of charge. Visit
http://www.nwfusion.com/bg/wp/wpbydate.jsp today.

To change your e-mail address, go to:
http://www.nwwsubscribe.com/news/scripts/changeemail.asp

Subscription questions? Contact Customer Service by replying to
this message.

Have editorial comments? Write Jeff Caruso, Newsletter Editor,
at: mailto:jcaruso@nww.com

For advertising information, write Alonna Doucette, V.P. of
Online Development, at: mailto:sponsorships@nwfusion.com

Copyright Network World, Inc., 2002

This message was sent to:  wbumpus@novell.com
--- End Message ---