dss-comment message

Subject: DSS as a encryption/decryption oracle.

I scanned the list archives and maybe I missed it, but has there been
any discussion about DSS effectively being an oracle for both chosen
plaintext and chosen ciphertext attacks?

Consider:

Since the document hash is encrypted with the service's private key,
this hash can be a chosen plaintext.  Since the resulting ciphertext
is returned to the attacker, DSS acts as an encryption oracle
enabling both batch and adaptive chosen-plaintext attacks.

Additionally, this mode of attack can double as a chosen-ciphertext
attack, where the hash submitted is treated as a ciphertext for the
purposes of cryptanalysis.  In this mode, the response is treated as
a plaintext, and DSS acts as a decryption oracle enabling both
indifferent and adaptive chosen-plaintext attacks.

Further, since the public and private keys operations are inverses of
each other, it may be possible for an attacker to choose a plaintext,
encrypt it with the DSS public key, alter the result to produce
chosen ciphertexts, and submit them to DSS for decryption.  This is a
mode of cryptanalysis that is very unusual, and I'm unsure of the
implications.

-- Tim

smime.p7s