Subject: Re: [DSS-X] comments to profile on individual reporting multi-signatureverification

Hallo Juan Carlos,

your requirements below seem to point to a similar
direction as the attached draft of a VerificationReport-structure.

This structure aims at providing (if requested by specifying a sufficiently
high detail-level) a comprehensive verification report
for arbitrary signed objects (such as advanced electronic signatures
and related structures (incl. time stamps, (attribute) certificates
and revocation information - possibly by expanding the binary structures
to a human readable form). Such a comprehensive verification report is
(in some Europen countries) required to be generated and archived for
electronic invoices.

> I have uploaded a document that we worked some time ago and
> that could serve to launch discussions on an abstract profile
> that could support individual reporting multi-signature verification.
>
> Some of the initial requirements that such a profile should meet are:
>
> 1. A new optional input in the <dss:VerificationRequest>
> requesting that if hte server finds more than one signature,
> it reports verification individually for each one.

This could even be a default behaviour. Within the VerificationReport-structure,
there is a general part (related to the request) and multiple (0..*) specific
parts (related to the signed objects).

> 2. For <dss:VerificationResult> there will be two types of results:
> global and individual.

Yes.

> 3. For <dss:VerificationResult> global Major results should
> globaly indicate whether there has been or not success.
>    In the latter case, the client must look at the individual reports.

It would be possible to specify a kind of detail-level, such that
the lowest level would provide the same information as the current
verification in DSS. However the highest detail-level will provide a comprehensive
verification report, which contains all information, which is gathered
during the verification process. While this - e.g. in case of an advanced
electronic signature - might become a fairly complex structure, such a report
is required in some scenarios (e.g. eInvoicing).

> 4. For <dss:VerificationResult> global Minor results have
> also been re-adjusted

I don't think that we would need to change any Major or Minor results.
The VerificationReport structure could just be handed back in OptionalOutputs.

> 5. For <dss:VerificationResult> a new optional output element
> satisfying the following
> requirements:

Please have a look at the structures defined in the draft of the
VerificationReport.xsd attached.

>   5.1 Each one of these elements will report details on how
> verification of one
>   signature has gone.

If one aims at supporting advanced electronic signatures, which
may contain time stamps, (attribute) certificates and related
revocation information (OCSP or CRL), it would be a natural extension
(with only modest changes) to allow the verification of these structures
as well.

>   5.2 This element will include result major and minor for
> each signature.
>
>   5.3 This element will contain mechanisms for identifying
> the signature verified
>   (and this is something on what I would like to get more
> ideas....you will see that
>    I propose something but I would say that there might be
> other ways to do that).

This element will contain some Identifier for the signed object.
In case of a signature, this might be something similar to the
SignaturePtr-element.

>   5.4 This element may incorporate any optional output giving
> details on a verified signature
>   that have been defined in the DSSCore

Yes. It seems to me that covering (CMS or XML) advanced electronic signatures
would imply that everything (maybe apart from PGP-signatures?) is
covered.

>   5.5 Should allow the inclusion of further details on the
> verification process.

In fact it could make sense to define a kind of detail-level, such
that one is able to control how detailled the verification report will
be.

Please let me know what you think about the draft of the attached
VerificationReport-structure.

Best regards,
   Detlef

--