Subject: Ways and scope of interop tests discussion

Dear all,

The co-chairs of the TC would like to advance in the decission making
process on the interoperability tests.

This message identifies a number of issues that we propose to discuss at
the TC level and that we think may help in clarifying the scope and the
way in which the interop tests may be conducted. Please feel free to add
any additional issue that you consider relevant to be discussed for
reaching this goal.

Among other relevant issues there are two that we would like to comment
here:

1. The way in which the interoperability tests will be conducted.

2. The profiles on which the TC will conduct interop tests.

1. WAY OF CONDUCTING INTEROP TESTS

On the first one, we initially envisage three potential situations which
would make it possible different ways:

a. For a certain profile there is more than one tool that implements the
same relevant feature. In this case, the way for conducting the tests
would be the expected one in interoperability tests on tools: once
specified the test cases, each tool would generate requests and the
others would generate the correspondent responses.

b. For a certain profile there is only one tool that implements certain
features. In this case we could conduct a let us say kind of "tool-human
being" interop tests. This could consist in that one party (tool or
human being) would generate requests and the other (human being or tool)
would generate corresponding responses....well, in the case of a human
being, the responses would obviously be qualitative: would indicate what
that human being has understood from the request and a detailed
description of what a server should, in his/her opinion do, generate and
give back to the requester....

c. For a certain profile there is not any tool implementing features.
Then the only thing that we could do here is a kind of interop between
human beings for checking if they have actually understood the same
things after having read the protocol.

Would you see any other way to conduct the interop tests? if so, could
you please describe them?

2. PROFILES TO BE CHECKED.

As for the profiles to be checked, well, ideally if we could incorporate
all of them that would be great...but this greatly depends on agreeing
the way of conducting the tests and the willingness of the different TC
members to participante in them.

We would like to suggest to start making a poll for knowing the exact
situation of each TC member.

Could you please let us know:

a. Tools that implement some profile of the DSS-X? if so, what profiles
exactly and whether it is a tool that supports all the features of the
profile or only some of them?

b. Are you willing to participate in the interop tests? and if so, in
the tests of which profile(s) would you like to be involved?

Could you please react to this message by email so that at the next call
we have been able to exchange some views and we may have made some
progress on the issue?

As mentioned above, please feel free to raise any issue different to the
ones that we have mentioned and that you feel that are relevant for the
interop tests.

Best regards

Stefan and Juan Carlos.