Subject: Re: [dss-x] Regarding DSS core schema

On 21.01.13 16:54, Juan Carlos Cruellas wrote:

back in the early days we thought of the use of just one single profile.
And we missed the opportunity to drop the Profile attribute completely
when we introduced AdditionalProfiles.
Yes...in some point in time we started to do some work on how to use
different profiles simultaneously but we stopped that work...anyway,
maybe some informative note clarifying the issue would be worth in the
next version of the core....

yes. I second this! In the upcoming next version / errata / comments of / to / for the core we SHOULD clarify this.

Pim already pointed out this inheritance problem. Nevertheless, if the
requestor does not mandate a profile, the server must have the chance to
respond without a Profile attribute. Or we apply the Null pattern and
define an URN for a 'NoProfile' profile ...
I agree in giving the possibility of responding without any
profile...this NoProfile URN would have the advantage of not breaking
the xml schema of the core, which I guess it has been used for building
a number of implementations, even it could be a bit extrange (but we
could be completely transparent and add an informative note in the next
version).....

Again: I am also in favour of adding such a NoProfile URN for the 100% core use case.

All the best,
Stefan