dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Authentication in DSS

I agree with Robert on all four items and think they should become requirements.
It seems to me that item 2 is particularly important, because this allows the signature service to be implemented without
making assumptions about the security of a separate authorisation service.

I would also like to add that the protocol should accomodate two-step authentication (i.e. authentication using two server roundtrips),
in order to support challenge-response authentication.
If others agree I think we should add this as a requirement as well.

Simeon Sheye
Cryptomathic

Burt;

It seems to me that in order to deal with the security requirements of the various environments where a digital signature service is likely to be deployed, any protocol that we develop should support:

1)  no authentication (well, really authentication provided by other means, or another layer, for example over TLS),
2)  authentication directly to the server within the protocol (using WS-Security maybe?),

3)  authentication using an authentication authority (using SAML?),

4)  combinations of above (in order to allow the two-authentication policy).

If others agree, I think this should be added as a requirement.

        Robert.