dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] client-side hashing

> The best way I can think of to support this, then, would be to have the
> client send a list of ds:References, and a selector for what type of
> signature he wants (CMS, XML DSIG, etc.).

This brings to mind an interesting security issue.

I understand the needs for sending the hash (privacy, performance, etc);
we did this at my previous company.  But a third-party signing service,
or an internal cost-center service, might be concerned about signing
something that it didn't actually see.  (I don't think "send the hash"
has similar security issues for verification.)

So I think we need to at least mention the implications of providing
this.
        /r$