dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] client-side hashing

> Although hashes are 99.44% pure, there is always a risk that another
document will resolve to the same hash.

Agreed. However, this risk applies whether or not the DSS service hashes the
message.

As far as I can see, there are only three reasons to have the DSS service
hash the message:

(1) the DSS service decides whether or not to sign the message based on the
content of the message
(2) the DSS service needs to keep the message for later auditing
(3) the DSS introduces randomness into the hashing process to prevent
"birthday attacks" (this is done in some signature schemes but not the
standard ones such as DSA or RSA)

-- Burt