dss message

Subject: [dss]

Minutes of the DSS TC meeting of March 10, 2003

1.  Welcome by chair.

2.  Roll call.

 Voting Members

 Carlisle Adams, Entrust
 Greg Alvord, self
 Steve Anderson, OpenNetwork Technologies
 Dimitri Andivahis, Surety
 Juan Carlos Cruellas, self
 David Finkelstein, RSA Security
 Ron Holm, Datum
 Merlin Hughes, Baltimore
 Burt Kaliski, RSA Security
 Gregor Karlinger, Austrian Federal Ministry for Public Services and Sports
 Andreas Kuehne, self
 Hal Lockhart, BEA Systems
 John Messing, self
 Trevor Perrin, self
 Nick Pope, self
 Krishna Sankar, Cisco
 Frank Siebenlist, Argonne National Laboratory
 Kate Wang, IONA
 Gideon Yuval, Microsoft
 Robert Zuccherato, Entrust

 Prospective Member

 Krishna Yellepeddy, IBM

3.  The Minutes of DSS TC Meeting Feb 24, 2003 sent out Wednesday, March 5,  2003 were approved.

4.  Use Case Subcommittee Report

Use cases: some comments were made regarding a need for clarification of the use cases. By way of example, it was noted that the court filing use case needs to have the external url summarized as an Oasis document. Also the language of the use case regarding non-XML signing could be clarified. These and other points will be clarified by the use case subcommittee.

Nick Pope will be taking over the editing responsibilities vacated by Manoj Srivastava's departure from the TC.

5.  Requirements stemming from the use cases

Trevor Perrin confirmed that he had become a member of the use case subcommittee. He explained his attempt at providing rough examples. He was attempting to segregate out various requirements common to the use cases. In a discussion of the TC it was observed that there was a need for the standard to be able to establish a signer's identity and a way to communicate it in a standardized way. It was observed that Oasis extensions to XML-DSIG may be required to accomplish this goal.

6.  Authentication requirements and bindings/profiles

A question was posed if we were ready as a TC to segregate out authentication requirements from bindings and profiles. This was determined to be premature at this date. The subcommittee will attempt to clarify the issue by the next meeting. The examples of SAML and XKMS were cited.

7.  A requirement for a co-chair was raised. The Chair noted his absence at several meetings and thought a co-chair would be appropriate. This item had been moved to item no. 1 on the agenda.  Participants noted that co-chairs were preferable to vice-chairs. Nominations with the consent of the nominee would be solicited over the next few weeks. There will be a vote at the next TC meeting. The proposal was moved and seconded and adopted without objection.

8.  Any other business.

An observation was made that signature authentication must be reflected as part of the signature or the signed data.

9.  Close.