dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Timestamping

Trevor,

The only protocols defined in the ISO documents are the
timestamp request protocol and the timestamp verification protocol.
No additional protocols specific to linked timestamp tokens
were defined.

The timestamp token issued by a TSA using linking methods
contains the usual data (hash, time value, policy ID, serial number
and so on).  In addition, it includes the TSA name, and encapsulates
the linking data needed for verification (BindingInfo).

Aggregation of timestamp token requests may be performed according
to the TSA policy, for example every 500ms or after at most 512
new timestamp requests have been received, whichever comes first.
According to 18014-3, aggregation is viewed as a way for the TSA
to scale up its throughput, so no additional protocols were
defined for "come-pick-it-up-in-an-hour" type of messages.
Aggregation is not necessarily the same as a timestamping round
the way the latter term is sometimes used in the literature.
18014-3 makes no assertion about the ordering of the timestamp
requests processed in a single aggregation operation
(i.e., the TSA could have reordered them according to his fancy),
while some of the papers describing algorithms using timestamping
rounds make assertions about the ordering of the requests
within a given round.

Freely paraphrasing from 18014-3:
All timestamp tokens generated by an aggregation operation
shall contain the same time value.  The TSA shall maintain
a repository of the linked values resulting from each aggregation
operation.  This repository is used for the verification of the timestamp
tokens issued by the TSA.  The integrity of the repository
is ensured by requiring that the TSA publishes in a timely fashion
values derived from the repository of linked values computed above;
different publishing schemes are recommended.  All communications
between a requestor/verifier and such a TSA shall be over a data
integrity and origin authentication protected channel.

Dimitri