dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Groups - dss-requirements-1.0-draft-02.doc uploaded

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Perrin [mailto:trevp@trevp.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 11:58 AM
<snip> So I think signing data after it's transformed is much more in accord with how XML-DSIG was designed to work, and in the case where we want to sign both human-readable and machine-readable views on some data, it's easiest to do that with different ds:References, each applying whatever transforms are appropriate to the same underlying data.

Trevor

</snip>

I think this was the intent of XML-DSIG - to sign only what you see. That makes great sense from a commercial and legal point of view for data signing by humans, as opposed to machines.

Also, inasmuch as the transforms are explicitly listed, is it possible to "backtrack" in order to retrieve the pre-transformed xml, should that be desired, on the theory that "things equal to the same thing ...."?