dss message

Subject: signed verification response

John Messing raised an interesting idea, offlist:

Perhaps, when calling DSS Verify, the client could request that the service
sign its response.  Then the client could archive the response, and if the
client was later accused of mistakenly relying on a false signature, or
processing the signature contents incorrectly, the client could produce the
signed response and claim "don't blame me, blame the DSS service".

Or the client could attach the response as an unsigned attribute to the
signature, and pass them both along to a 3rd party, in which case this
would be yet another way for A to present 3rd-party evidence of a
signature's validity to B (along with counter-signing, and the EPM approach
of using a time-stamp, and the approach of adding cert-path validity info,
like signed OCSP responses).

Anyways, we could add a "Whether response should be signed" option in
3.6.2., if people support this.

Trevor