dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] FW: EPM postmark

To finish responding to Ed -

At 07:28 PM 7/3/2003 +0200, Gray Steve wrote:

> [...]

I see that you proposed some requirements[1], I asked some questions about
them[2], you responded[3], and I didn't write back, though Nick did
[4].  I'll review your responses and respond to them, and hopefully we can
get consensus on changes for the next draft.

>I must now ask you to help me, because I am getting confused with DSS's
>intent, objectives, and scope in the following areas:
>
>- how is DSS different than existing published standards in this area,
>most notably ETSI 101-733/903 ?

Is 101-733 the same as RFC 3126, and 101-903 the same as XAdES that was
submitted to w3c?

If so, the difference is that they are signature formats, whereas DSS is a
request/response protocol for producing and verifying signatures that may
be in these, or any other, format.

DSS will tackle the mechanics of sending data to sign/verify, and
retrieving the response (and the mechanics are plenty complicated, since we
want to support an octopoid format like XML-DSIG that lets you sign
multiple things with different transforms in a single signature, and
include the signature in the document in different ways).

So DSS will be a fairly generic, low-level protocol, that can be profiled
in terms of which signature profiles it supports, what bindings the
protocol is transported over, what application context it's used in, etc..

For more detail, see 3.10 in the requirements doc, where it talks about us
producing 2 documents, the first consisting of the request/response
protocol and some "core" XML elements (like Requestor Identity, and
time-stamps), that will be useful as signature contents in conjunction with
this protocol.

The second document will consist of an initial set of bindings and
profiles, to get the ball rolling.  But I think right now our attention is
mostly on the first document, and that's what most of the requirements
pertain to.

>- is non-repudiation within the scope of DSS ?

I think non-repudiation is a higher-level concept that doesn't pertain to
the DSS request/response protocol.  The protocol will just let a client
send some data to be signed and get back a signature.  Higher-level
profiles, and legal and operational contexts, will determine what that
signature means.

Though when we discuss the Requestor Identity element, we could mention the
non-repudiation issues surrounding it as a "Security Consideration".

>- is there any binding assumptions about the signatures produced by a DSS
>service ?

I'm not sure what "binding assumptions" are.

>- how does DSS propose to extend value to the Web Service subscriber
>community ?

I'm not sure what the "Web Service subscriber community" is.

Trevor

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss/200306/msg00032.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss/200306/msg00077.html
[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss/200306/msg00089.html