dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Individual reports for verification response

At 08:58 AM 7/5/2003 -0400, jmessing wrote:

>The protocol should probably support various levels of granularity in
>reports with the probable end result being that very few users may want
>access to that level of detail as a practical matter unless and until a
>signature is challenged, just like a bank keeps records of manual
>signatures on file to reference in the event a manual signature on a check
>or draft is challenged, but does not check each signature against the
>signature card because of the impracticality of the process.

This complexity is why I'm a little leery of this feature, since we're
going to have to enumerate and name all the meaningful events a service can
notify the client about, and worry about things like what level of
granularity is appropriate, and how to parameterize these events (does the
service just say "I checked a revocation mechanism, or does it say "I
checked a CRL", or does it say I checked *<this>* CRL", etc.), and how to
let the client specify filters on which events it wants to receive.  We
could end up designing a whole logging system, if we're not careful.

But maybe that's exaggerating.  Perhaps we could just let things like
"which events to return" be part of the "verifying policy" in 3.6.2 - i.e.,
part of that mass of ways one server can differ from another that a client
can't control individually but that's implicit in the "verifying policy"
the server's operating under.

Trevor