dss message

Subject: Re: FW: [dss] Comments to draft 6 Use Case requirements

Trevor, see  my comment below:

>> >.       Ability to retrieve signature verification results, if authorized
>> >do so.
>>
>>When would this be useful?  Why would Alice want to retrieve Bob's signature
>>verification results?
>>
>><ed>
>>If Alice is the lawyer and Bob is the origin signator over a legal document,
>>Alice would need evidence of the signature validity. This Alice would do by
>>requesting an "IssueReceipt" option on the verification request from the
>>Trusted Service Provider (EPM operator).
>></ed>
>
>As I understand it, Alice will request a Signature Verification, with an
>option to receive a "receipt" that the signature was valid at that
>time.  EPM implements this receipt as an RFC 3161 Timestamp on the signature.
>
>We have a few ways this or similar things could be done in our
>protocol.  Which shows that we need to think about this some more.  But to
>recap the alternatives:
>  - client could request the "Verify" operation with the "Return
>Information used in Verification" option, to procure the CRLs or OCSP
>help a relying party verify the signature.
>  - we recently discussed the ability to request a signed verification
>response from the server.  I was going to add that into the next document.
>  - the client could request a signature or timestamp on a signature, and
>the service could verify the first signature as a prelude to
>counter-signing or time-stamping it.
>  - the Verify operation with the "Return Information used in Verification"
>option could verify the signature and then return it time-stamped, or
>counter-signed.  I was suggesting this but now I'm not so sure, cause the
>server isn't really returning information used in verifying, but creating
>new information.
>
>So this is confusing, I don't know what to do here.

About the third one I would say that this case refers to a request of
"sign" that includes a "verify" as first step....

I do not like very much the last one, because as you say the server
would not return information used in verification...

Instead, you could consider to add  one more option:
  - client could request the "Verify" operation with the "Return
Information used in Verification" option, to procure the CRLs or OCSP
by the signature verified and the cryptographic material
(which would prove that at the time the verification was done, the
cryptographic
material was OK).

>[Question about EPM: it seems like the "ApplyPostmark" option requests the
>service to add a postmark to the signature, and the "IssueReceipt" option
>requests the service to return the postmarked signature.  Is that correct?]
>

>Anyways, it seems that a few EPM requirements are out of scope for DSS, and
>thus that EPM should probably be a "superset" of DSS - that is, EPM could
>use DSS for signing and verifying, but would have its own, additional
>operations for things like Non-repudiable Delivery and Logging of
>Events.  Does that make sense?

I agree with you, Trevor.

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/members/leave_workgroup.php