dss message

Subject: Re: FW: [dss] Use-cases and requirements - observations

At 08:01 PM 7/8/2003 +0100, Nick Pope wrote:

>By mistake I started a discussion with Tim Moses which was not copied to the
>list - see below.
>
>Nick

You're right, this should be optional, to allow for cases where the server
can figure this out by itself.  I'll add text in 3.4.1 and 3.4.2 to make it
clear that the client can omit these options and let the server decide if
it wants.

Some profiles of DSS might go further and not allow the client to send
these options, so that servers could be simpler.

>I am merely arguing that it must be possible for the service
>to figure this out by itself.  All that is required is that the client
>indicate to the service who is the intended recipient of its signed message.

Right now, the idea is that any options not explicitly requested by the
client are controlled by the "Signing Policy", and that a server will have
a default Signing Policy, though a client could request a different one.

So a server can have one policy where it signs a particular part of a
document in a particular way using a particular key and following a
particular archiving strategy and adding particular signed attributes, and
another policy where it does all these things differently, and the client
doesn't have to request each difference separately, but is just configured
to request one policy or another (by contacting different URIs, or
different WSDL endpoints/interfaces/services/whatever, or something).

Is that sufficient?  Or do we need something like an <IntendedAudience>
element, where the client says "I want this signature to be verifiable by
Alice@Acme.com and Bob@Acme.com".

Something like that might seem more precise, but I worry it would get
complicated.  We'd need to add wildcarding, and different name forms..

Trevor